Starter telescopes have become popular among children, astrophiles, and science students. They are quite affordable, compact, and ideal for travelling. Although most people would consider them as regular toys,these viewing scopes are more than educative. If you’re into astronomy, space, nature, and the general galaxy, you’ll understand how beneficial this tiny product is to your child’s development. Besides, they are perfect for beginners who are just starting out in space exploration. If you’re looking for something better than a plaything, check out our top 8 best telescopes for kids.
8. Solomark Telescope 70mm ApertureTravel Scope
With a lightweight design, this product would fit in any backpack. It is a travelling telescope for anyone who wants to enjoy nature’s beauty in 3D. Typically, it is suitable for casual observations, land viewing, astronomy, or for general surveillance. Solomark 4331894047 is undoubtedly the best telescope for kids, beginners and students at large.
- Thoroughly coated green glass optical components for high-quality image and eye protection
- Lightweight for portability
- Aluminium tripod offers maximum stability to the telescope
- Smartphone eyepiece adapter for taking pictures and videos and sharing with family and friends
- High-powered eyepiece for finer details
- 2.75-inch aperture
- AZ mount system for both horizontal and vertical movements while pointing at objects
- Refractor telescope for basic observations
7. Moutec Telescope for Early Development Science
If your kid is interested in astronomy and space, this scope can be the most fabulous gift idea. It is not only the best telescope for kids but also for beginners and amateur astrophiles. You can use it for daytime birding, wildlife viewing, scenery observations, watching the galaxy, and more. Setting up the Moutec telescope is more likes child’s play. The tripod stand comes pre-assembled, hence, reducing the hassle of fixing the parts. Thanks to the lightweight design, you can take it with you while on-the-go.
- Optical-coated glass produces clear images with increased brightness
- Adjustable aluminium tripod
- 3x Barlow lens for a higher magnification power
- Refractor optical design for general observation of the sky, stars and the moon
- 2.75-inch aperture
- Lifetime warranty
6. TwinStar 60mm Compact Refractor AstroVenture Telescope
Twinstar Astroventure telescope is suitable for beginners. With a 60mm objective lens, the device allows you to have a clear and detailed view of the stars, landscape, beautiful scenery, and the sky. It is the best telescope for kids, considering that it is easy to use, with a point-and-look aspect.
Twinstar Astroventure viewing scope comes pre-assembled. There are only four parts to put together, before screwing it on the tripod. You kid will effortlessly set it up even without your supervision.
- 15x and 50x eyepiece lenses
- Altazimuth style mount facilitates both horizontal and vertical movements
- 60mm aperture provides a broader field of view
- Adjustable aluminium tripod
- Optical glass coating for minimising spherical aberrations
- Highest magnification of up to 65x
- Two-year warranty
5. DoubleSun Telescope Kids Educational Science Refractor Scope
Doublesun refractor scope is suitable for both terrestrial and celestial observations. Though it is the best telescope for kids, any curious amateur astronomer can use it for basic viewing. Its small size makes it perfect for travelling and outdoor activities. This telescope comes with a tripod for providing a stable platform. However, it is light enough to be handheld.
- Optical-coated lens for bright and crisp images
- Refractor optical design
- 1.18-inch aperture for basic observation
- AZ style mount
- Smartphone eyepiece adapter
04. MaxUSee Refractor Telescope F40040M
F40040M is more like an educational material for young astronomers and children whose curiosity is drawn by the sky. It features a moon mirror, whichallows you to get a clear view of the moon with exceptional details. For this reason, it is the best telescope for kids. When there’s full moon, you should screw this lens into the eyepiece. Usually, you’llobserve the full moon with reflected glare, but this mirror would correct it and sharpen the image.F40040M is effortless toset up and use. You only fix the diagonal mirror, eyepiece, and the tripod to the telescope.
- 5×18 finder for locating objects
- Moon mirror for clear and detailed observation of the moon
- 40mm aperture allows a wider field of view observation
- Aluminium tripod for stability
- Stars and moon map
- 20x and 32x magnification power
- Lightweight design
- One-year warranty
3. Discover with Dr Cool Lunar Telescope for kids
For over the years, Dr Cool has become one of the leading brands in producing fun and educative toys for kids. Their lunar scope is the best telescope for inspiring your kid into the adventures of astronomy, space and nature. What makes it unique is that it includes a bonusadventure guide and activitybooklets with numerous facts about the space. The activity booklet has thrilling puzzles, mazes, and challenges, which are moon-related. Even though your kid may not be an astrophile, both the telescope and the theory guide will stir him to explore the space.
- Optical glass lenses for clear images
- 18x and 90x eyepieces for providing a more extensiveand close-upviewingrespectively
- Aluminium table-top tripod stand
- A chunk of real meteorite specimen
- Lunar telescope adventure booklet with lots of facts about the moon
- Easy to use
2. Emarth Telescope, Travel Scope, 70mm Astronomical Refractor Telescope
Featuring a compact design, Emarth is the ideal travelling telescope for both terrestrial and celestial observations. It has an objective lens of 70mm, hence, making it perfect for basic viewing of the planetary objects. Once you set it up on the low power eyepiece, the finder will help you locate images. You can adjust the viewing angle using the panhandle on the altazimuth mount. Emarth is undoubtedly the best telescope for kids, students, amateurs, and beginners.
This small starter scope is easy to set up and use. If you’re stuck, there’s an instruction booklet to help you find the bearing. Besides, you get a free moon map on the manual, which gives you an idea of what you’re observing.
- 70mm aperture refractor telescope
- 5×24 finder scope for locating objects
- Thoroughly coated optical glass for generating high-quality images with increased brightness
- 3x Barlow lens for tripling the viewing power
- Adjustable tripod
- AZ mount supports both horizontal and vertical movements
- Panning handle for convenience when pointing at the objects
- Lifetime warranty
1. MaxUsee Refractor Telescope with Tripod and Finder Scope (Best Seller)
Topping our list of the top 8 best telescopes for kids is this model from Maxusee. What makes it deserve the ranking is the extra eyepieces you get from the package. Unlike its competing models with only two eyepiece lenses, Maxusee has fourassortments with an extra one. The additional erecting eyepiece increases the magnification power 1.5x higher and corrects the image direction. For detailed observation of the full moon, you should attach the moon mirror lens to the eyepiece. At least, the mirror would reduce possible glares and distortions.
- Maximum magnification of up to 200x
- 70mm aperture for a full-angle view of bright and crisp images
- 5×24 finder scope for tracking objects
- 3x Barlow lens increases the magnification power three times more
- Moon mirror gives a precise observation of the moon
- Four eyepieces with different magnifications
- Table-top aluminium tripod
Erecting eyepiece for correcting the orientation of the image
From the above review, you’ll notice that not all of the listed telescopes are regular toys for your tot. On the contrary, they are among the best educative materials you can gift to your kid. It is also an alternative for amateurs and science students who want to explore the celestial objects without breaking the bank.